Category Specialist - Bulks and Equipment
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen Inc. is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world's most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. We're strategically focused on three businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
Nexen is big enough to provide you with boundless career opportunities, and small enough so you get recognized for your work. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
The mission of ESCS is to deliver Enterprise Value through Supply Chain Excellence. We are currently executing an ESCS business transformation initiative which will enable us to become a more strategic and value focused fit for purpose supply chain organization.
Category Management is a systematic, disciplined approach to managing a pre-determined category of goods and/or services.
The Bulks and Equipment category grouping is comprised of the following categories and accounts for an annual spend of US$400MM.
- Pipes, Tubes, and Fittings;
- Valves and accessories;
Chemicals and Petroleum Products:
- Petroleum Products (Gas, Oils, Fuels, Lubricants)
Instrumentation, Electrical, Process, and Rotating Equipment:
- Electrical Equipment and Materials;
- Instrumentation, Communication, and Process Control Equipment Materials;
- Mechanical and Process Equipment;
In this role, you will influence the development and execution of category management strategies. You will establish specific category management strategies consistent with the company's category management process and aligned to the company's key performance areas. You will ensure that each category management strategy clearly defines the value drivers within each category and articulates the category management action plans for the delivery of such value to the company.
This position reports to the Category Lead and will support the other Category Specialists. This position has no direct reports.
- Work with key stakeholders to define requirements, risks, constraints, and market value, and, along with suppliers, understand market capability, utilizing this information to assist with development of category management action plan objectives;
- Actively review readily available information and solicit information from market intelligence regularly to gain political, economic, social, technical, legal, and environmental insight into suppliers, drivers, and changes to the market;
- Incorporate internal and external data and trends to act as Subject Matter Expert on the category in developing and executing strategic sourcing and other value creation initiatives;
- Support annual category management objectives through development and execution of category management plans and strategies aligned to divisional priorities and Nexen's Key Performance Areas;
- Support the execution of category management action plans, including execution of strategic sourcing events, strategic contracts, supplier performance management, and other value opportunities;
- Implement best in class contract management terms, conditions, and compliance monitoring;
- Lead implementation of sourced agreements for respective category;
- Develop a network of stakeholders to provide input into strategy development and to influence deployment of category action plans;
- Recommend and implement category value opportunities, including technology transfer, policies, process optimization, forecasting, supplier relationship management, and P2P improvements aligned to Nexen's key performance areas;
- Understand and utilize total cost of ownership (TCO) models to assess value;
- Support stakeholder engagement and management during all phases of the category management process;
- Actively contribute to a work environment that supports a motivated productive team and provide guidance, coaching, and support to team members and internal customers with regards to category management activities;
- Actively monitor supplier performance and manage supplier relationships through reporting, internal customer surveys, and through ad-hoc feedback from relevant stakeholders;
- Contribute to the development and mentoring of qualified Category Management Professionals.
- University degree in Supply Chain Management, Business, or Technical discipline;
- Minimum 7 years' experience in a Supply Chain, Contracts, Technical Sales, Project Management, or Business Development roles within the oil and gas sector is preferred;
- A professional designation is preferred (SCMP, IACCM, APEGA, or equivalent);
- Business acumen in supply chain, logistics, and sourcing, preferably in oil and gas;
- Significant experience and expertise in the industrial chemicals market, primarily commercial, is required. Technical experience in the chemicals industry would be a strong asset;
- Adaptability to become effective in additional supply chain categories other than industrial chemicals;
- Procurement and contract experience in a high value commercial environment would be ideal;
- Strong stakeholder engagement and management skills in order to execute fair process within the category management plans;
- Ability to drive change across the business;
- Exceptional skills in Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, Power Point, and SAP;
- Ability to multi-task and operate under tight deadlines;
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, negotiation, and problem solving skills.
To apply, please visit our website at www.nexeninc.com/careers by March 6, 2013.
No agency or telephone inquiries please. Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.